Serving Slovenians in the Chicagoland area since 1923
[email protected]OUR BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS
We are often asked if our outdoor grotto and lake areas are available for photo sessions for weddings and other special occasions.
You are welcome here to enjoy the nature and prayer environment of the place! Please, be aware these are church grounds and they are meant for prayer and quiet reflection and not for any other activities unless arranged with the Franciscan Fathers. Any organized group needs a permit ahead of time.
A signed permit from the Franciscans is required when using the grounds.
Click here to download the form.
Addendum to the Permit for Wedding Pictures
The grounds of St. Mary’s Monastery are used for prayer, meditation and reflection. While your wedding party is on the premises, there will probably be a retreat going on at St. Mary’s Retreat House. Retreats use the grounds especially the Stations of the Cross, the Lourdes Grotto and the Rosary Valley. These are all places which are popular for wedding pictures. We ask you to respect the peace of the retreatants. For this reason, the following norms are to be observed:
1. No alcohol is permitted on the premises. If you have alcohol on your buses, it is to remain on the buses.
2. No use of recreational drugs is permitted whether the drugs are legal or not.
3. Sound systems are to be shut down as you enter the property.
4. St. Mary’s Retreat House is a private facility and is not open to the public. Your permit does not give you any access to this building. You are not permitted to enter that building. You are not to disturb the sanctity of the retreat.
5. If you need to use bathrooms, there is a bathroom on the picnic grounds.
6. Please respect the peace of the people who have come to pray at the Lourdes Grotto, the Stations of the Cross and the Rosary Valley.
Weddings are events that bring joy to others as they witness the happiness of newly married couples and their family and friends. If you respect the quiet of the retreatants you will benefit from additional prayers wishing you a joyful marriage.
But please remember that we need to protect the sanctity of the grounds and you will be asked to leave immediately if you do not comply.
None of these norms should hamper your wedding pictures.